Monday, March 09, 2009

Octopus: Hard to Swallow



Most everyone knows about the amazing physical feats octopi are famous for: changing color at lightening fast speeds, squeezing their boneless bodies through tiny openings, etc. Many of you are probably familiar with the claims that the invertebrate is highly intelligent, a master of dexterity, manipulation, curiosity, memory and even personality. According to this article, octopi in the wild are also ingenious impersonators, known to mimic sole, lion fish, and sea snakes to fake out their predators. Unlike other mimics who impersonate only one creature, researchers claim certain species of octopi have a wide range of characters they can play, mostly poisonous, which they choose based on which predator is nearby. They change their color, body shape, and swimming pattern to emulate the other species. Being able to do many impersonations is a much better way to mimic, since predators are more likely to suspect a mimic that only has one routine.

Knowing all this, my question to you is this: would you eat one…alive? On one episode of the National Geographic show “Taboo”, I watched a segment about people in Korea who enjoy eating small, whole, live octopi in one big bite. The dish is called Sannakji, and although it is popular in Korea, many claim it is an acquired taste. It is served either cut into small pieces (that are still wiggling around the plate) or whole. Since the suction cups on the octopus are still active, great care must be taken when eating it. Many cases of people choking to death while eating sannakji have been reported. Many venues will prepare the octopus for eating by stretching and tiring it out. All countries have their own foods that others may find extreme, but could you stomach eating something that fights back?

Jane de Verges (5)

10 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, March 10, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To answer your question, there is no way I would eat an octopus alive. Especially not after reading that some people have choked to death while eating it. But I am pretty sure if I was raised in a place like Korea, where it is not unusual, I would have probably eaten one or some...

Shonneau (3)

 
At 1:14 PM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be completely honest I love octopi. I think they are amazing animals so even if there was no risk of choking to death, I wouldn't be able to eat one. Aside from that after reading this blog, I would never eat one.

[Emily Bell]

 
At 2:40 PM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After hearing about the suction-cup incident..there is no way that I would chance choking to death on an octopus. I have had octopus before, but it was cooked. Needless to say, it didn't taste like chicken, but I found it to be pretty tasty. With all of this octopi mimicry, do you know of any octopi who actually are poisonous?

- Maura Mulvey

 
At 2:55 PM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of these adaptations seem a little excessive... why evolve to mimic a large number of poisonous fish instead of just becoming poisonous? You'd think the alternative would be easier...

(Nicholas Skvir)

 
At 6:16 PM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow no i would never eat a live octopus! I would be afraid that it would attack me while i attempted this, or choke me like the post said. Also if you swallowed one whole when during the course of digestion would it die? I personally just think its creepy to eat something alive.

-Willow Alves

 
At 10:10 PM, March 11, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so gross! There is no way I could handle that; i can't even do sushi. I have heard of animals mimicking others, even to get mates, not just attack. Are octopi the only animal that can do this mimicking more than one animal? Nice title by the way!
-Alyson Paige

 
At 11:03 PM, March 11, 2009, Blogger PWH said...

Jane,

I would never eat an octopus regardless of it being alive or dead. Considering the fact that some species of octopi are poisonous, I would be too afraid to even attempt it. Also, I am very intrigued by the fact that octopi are ingenious impersonators. Do you feel that these this trait is an evolutionary by-product of a predator prey relationship?

Saad Choudhry

 
At 2:04 AM, March 12, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand where someone would even get the idea to one day try this, but I guess there are some cultural boundaries I can't cross. Despite the gross idea of eating a live octopus, I really think they are one of the coolest creatures in the ocean. Apparently cephalopods are very intelligent and it'd be neat to work with one in a lab doing intelligence tests to see just how smart they are.

-Conor Stenerson

 
At 10:37 AM, March 12, 2009, Blogger PWH said...

I don't think I would ever eat an octopus alive. Now that I've read this blog I know I would never eat one alive. I'm clumsy enough to choke on a mozzarella stick nevermind something that has been known to cause people to choke. It's not so hard to think that it's so crazy though. I mean for us this might be strange, but for people our age growing up in Korea this might be their favorite meal. My Portuguese family almost always cook up an octopus and eat it during the holiday season and they all enjoy it. Luckily someone always makes a turkey or ham on the side for those of us who don't...

Crystal Cabral

 
At 7:15 PM, March 16, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice article, personally I would never be able to eat an animal that fights back while eating it. Also, knowing the intelligence level of an octopus would make it quite hard.

-Julio Rodriguez

 

Post a Comment

<< Home