Monday, March 30, 2009

The "pros" of eating yogurt.


Yogurt is not only delicious, filling, and one of my favorite foods but also very good for you.  It contains probiotics which are a group of live bacteria or microorganisms that benefit your health.  These "good" bacteria are important in digestion and absorption of food and nutrients.   You have similar bacteria/microorganisms already present in your gut which can be stripped by things like "bad" bacteria when you get sick or from taking antibiotics which not only kill your "bad" bacteria but unfortunately your "good" bacteria also.  By taking probiotics you can replace the "good" bacteria lost.  These supplemental bacteria are often from the groups Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. Probiotics can also be yeasts. 

Research on probiotics is still in its early stages however there is evidence probiotics help treat various health issues such as diarrhea caused by a rotavirus and IBS, urinary tract infections and other intestinal infections.  Here is a good website for more information on Probiotics and the research presently being done on them.

Update:
I'd like to clarify that ALL yogurt doesn't use live active cultures of probiotics. It has not yet been actually proven that these probiotics provide the same benefits as when taken alone.  There have been studies to test their activity when in yogurt but I have not been able to find information on the results of this testing.  All I can say is that eating yogurt isnt going to hurt you so might as well give it a shot.
Emily Bell Group A  Week 6

9 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, April 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The probiotic capsules I've seen make me suspicious - I would bet that when surrounded by the proteins and fats in a yogurt solution, the microbes are better protected against the harsh pH of the stomach, meaning more will make it to the intestines alive. Are there studies done on this?

 
At 5:55 PM, April 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really interested by this post. From my experience at UHS, doctors already recommend eating yogurt when you have an upset stomach. Not only does it replace the "good" bacteria, but it helps to coat your stomach and is very rarely rejected. Do you know if they have found any negative evidence of increased probiotics in your diet?

~Alyssa Terestre

 
At 9:42 PM, April 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's pretty lame that some yogurt is now being advertised as "pro-digestion" when all yogurt contains probiotics. Do these brands contain more of the bacteria than others? What about organic vs. inorganic?

-Jane de Verges

 
At 10:33 PM, April 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup yogurt is delicious and nutritious. I remember reading Rachel's blog about milk and how highly processed it is, so I sometimes wonder how processed yogurt is ( especially the popular brand name yogurts.) What are the best brands of yogurt in your opinion?

-Calin Darabus

 
At 10:54 PM, April 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love yogurt too! You have to be careful though sme brands add lots of sugars. Good Blog. I knew antibiotics killed bacteria but I guess like many people I assumed that it was used in killing the bad bacteria that was making the person sick to begin with. Thats probably why overuse of antibiotics is also harming us not only the bad bacteria mutating, like I spoke about in one of my earlier blogs.

-Katie Cyr

 
At 10:58 PM, April 01, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Strangely yogurt was never around in my house when I was growing up and as a consequence I've never had it. I've always wanted to, especially after seeing some yogurt parfaits. I guess this is just further incentive to have some. Are there any other benefits besides helpful bacteria?

-Conor Stenerson

 
At 11:03 PM, April 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice article. I've heard of recent research being done on bacterial resistant integron genes found in probiotics. These probably originate from the variety of antibiotics given to cows and livestock. Although probiotics are not harmful, they may possibly transmit their resistance genes through bacterial conjugation methods to pathogens. This in turn, would cause great concern in clinical treatment.

-Julio Rodriguez

 
At 11:15 PM, April 01, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear. I also love yogurt. I did know that yogurt helped with digestion but I didn't know why. I' saw advertisements for a brand of yogurt, I believed called Activia that say eating their yogurt will help with digestion. They didn't mention that all yogurt help with digestion. Maybe their yogurt has more good bacteria in it.
-Alex Pavidapha

 
At 10:14 PM, April 06, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love yogurt also and it is good for you, i wonder about Dannon Activia and how that can regulate the digestive system? Does it act similarly as regular yogurt or is there something else added to give it the digestive benefits?

Samantha DeBiasio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home